Friday, February 13, 2015

{Flash Back Friday: Three Years Later}

(If you read my running for healthy babies blog, this IS a different post)

I have a feeling today, February 13th, will always be a day I remember.  I can't help but remember a cold February day heading into my 24 week appointment with the Dr. after a day of school with my kindergartners. I remember saying good-bye to the last kid in line and heading out. I remember exactly what I was wearing that day. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times since I entered the hospital with the twins, ignorance is bliss.  The "flash back" post marks the change in our outlook on life and what life is really all about....


The morning before I knew I would be heading into the hospital.
24 Weeeks, hooked up to "Stan" my new companion



{Three Years ago today...(foulkbabies.blogspot.com)}


"I'm not sure where to start...There are so many things I have to say, people to thank, and things to share...I've started this blog because of teacher who suggested it may make it a little easier for me to communicate with everyone-great idea!! 

So we're all on the same page here is what has happened since Monday (2/13).

Monday I went for my regular checkup after school for the babies. The Dr. found I was dilated 1cm and she was concerned I may be having contractions as well.  So I drove my self to Good Sam where they admitted me and sure enough I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes.  They gave me an IV of Magnesium which slowed the contractions to every 5-8 minutes (still not great) and decided to up the dose to get them to slow even more.

Tuesday morning I had an ultrasound to check on the babies. They are great! They are healthy and VERY active. Landen weighs 1lb 13oz and Caroline weighs 1lb 12 oz. Their heart beats are monitored twice a day for 20 minutes.  The next part may be too much information but it's why I have to stay in the hospital. The Dr. measured my cervix length and they said it should be 20 mm but mine is 4.  With that, they said I have to stay in the hospital until they are born.

Wednesday the Dr. decided to continue my IV of Magnesium for another 48 hours. She was concerned with how long it took to calm my contractions and she would like to step down the dosage and see what happens.  Aaron and I were very happy with her proactive approach and are hoping the contractions will be under control and the babies and I will make it to 28 weeks or longer. Aside from fighting contractions, the Dr.'s are very happy with the development of the babies and with my overall health which is a really good thing!  

The Dr.s from NICU came down to talk to us and they explained what it would be like to have a baby at 25 weeks. They were so informative and positive! It's amazing what they can do these days! They told us that every day a baby stays in the womb is equal to three days in the NICU. So each day is really a big deal and every week is an even bigger deal. At this point if we were to have the babies, they would stay in the NICU potentially until their due date, June 2nd.  If we make it to 28 or 30 weeks, and they are healthy, they may stay in the NICU until 34-36 weeks- all of this depending on their health of course and how they are doing.  So reaching the 30 week mark is huge when it comes to how long they have to stay in the NICU. Regardless, they will be in the NICU for some time...I'm dealing with that emotional hurdle a little each day. 

Mental State of Mind. All of this could really make someone just loose it! I imagine as I sit here for the next several weeks I will have some good and bad days. But overall, I am very optimistic and positive.  I know God has his hands all over this...his timing for everything has been impeccable.  He got me to the hospital when I needed to be, I've got a team of Dr.'s and nurses who are INCREDIBLY sweet to me, and I have friends and Rockwern family who work here at the hospital.  The icing on the cake is I'm still in room by myself at this point. I'm on the waiting list for a private room and the nurses keep telling me I'll be moving soon. The nurse said they are usually busting at the seams but that it has been quiet and there is only one person in each double room right now....So I've totally lucked out on having a room to my self!!

With all of that said and my fabulous hospital food arriving, I have to end with a BIG thank you.  THANK YOU to EVERYONE who have been going ABOVE AND BEYOND to show how much you care.  I can't tell you how much it means to both Aaron and I. We feel the support and love and that alone keeps our spirits up-and that is a huge part in getting through all of this! 

Love and hugs to all of you! I have lots of free time so I'll post anything that comes up!! "

{Three Years Later}

I often wonder if it is odd that this experience is still close to my heart. Is it strange that I feel like I have a forever friendship with nurses and doctors that I spent time with?  In a way I have moved on from what was but can't help but think back to where we came from. How nerve-racking being in the hospital  should have been but we somehow managed to stay somewhat calm.  I think about all the people who came to visit me whether they really new me or not. Some past mom's who stayed in the same room would come to visit the nurses and one even popped in to say hello to me with her healthy and happy son. She, and her son, signed our special yellow duck and left a mark on my heart with deep gratitude and appreciation.  Wives of people Aaron work with sent me cards, brought me lunch, and sent me emails. Aaron's co-workers sent flowers that made all the nurses stop in because my room smelt so good which in turn filled my room with company and support. 

So is it strange those memories are still fresh after three years? Maybe so, but I have to say I live life being grateful  where as before I might have taken things for granted....Thank you for sharing in my walk down memory lane....





No comments:

Post a Comment